"If your teeth and gums are in excellent condition, you may want to consider an (at-home) whitening kit," says Kellee Kattleman Stanton, DDS, a spokeswoman for the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry.
Teeth whitening home kit
As teeth whitening ‘s popularity grew with patients, manufacturers scrambled to respond to customer wants. The result is the whole range of at-home whitening products you see in stores today. When considering home teeth whitening kits, it makes good sense to have your dentist involved in the treatment rather than go it completely alone. Custom-made trays (dental cups fitted to the contour of your teeth) must be manufactured in order to ensure the whitening solution is properly distributed. Without these, a lot of the solution could be wasted or put onto areas of the mouth that may be damaged. This is where the expertise of the dental professional is important and why the dentist should still be part of the teeth whitening process even if it is performed at home.
Steps to Obtaining and Using a Professional Teeth Whitening Home kit:
- Impressions would first be taken from both your upper and lower teeth using non-toxic dental putty. These would be sent to a specialty lab to make the trays. This part of the process takes around one to two weeks from start to finish.
- Plastic Bleaching Trays are made that fit over the user's upper and lower teeth.
- When the trays are ready, an appointment would be set to show you how to properly dispense and apply the solution and other instructions needed to obtain the optimal results.
- To perform treatments, the user places whitening gel in the trays and then seats them over their teeth.
- The trays are then worn for a prescribed period of time (often multiple hours per day, or else overnight), for a series of days or weeks, as the effects of the whitening process gradually take place.
- After two weeks of treatment, a follow-up appointment would be made to track your results and see how they compare to your reference shade.
- The additional whitening solution can be used for touch-ups if needed.
After whitening, Remove the tray and rinse your teeth and brush away any remaining gel. Continue to brush and floss and maintain routine dental cleaning habits.